How to get paid internships [ Off - campus ]

 Below average student No experience Did not get on campus internship. Then too I managed to do 3 internships during my college. How? I will tell you how. I am making a blog on How I got 3 internships during my college life? If I tell you honestly, I was an average student in my college life. I was not a pro topper. 9 GPA, 8 GPA And I barely use to touch 7, to be honest. Neither I was a pro coder. Or I used to work more in research work. I was a normal average Sometimes below average sometimes above average student But still, I managed to get 3 internships during my college. And all these internships were off campus. I was not a very good student so getting an on-campus internship was hard for me. I worked hard and finally, I did 3 internships. And all these 3 internships had a different profiles. I found all 3 internships in different ways. And were in different locations. And was really a different experience. And in this blog, I am going to share the same. My internship stories. And how did I find these 3 internships off campus? And apart from this, I will share some tips to find off-campus internships. 


 So here chronologically we will go reverse. So I will tell you about my third internship first. And I will tell you about the first in the end. And the third and final internship that I did was in IIM Ahmedabad. And I did this internship during my fourth-year summer break. This internship has a very interesting story. Because in my third year I had thought that In my fourth year, I have to do an internship at IIM Ahemdabad. Because at that time I had a plan of doing an MBA. I thought if IIM Ahmedabad would come on my resume, then I would get some brownie points. My profile will look more good. So I planned it from start. And I searched online on how we can intern in IIMS .And everyone said just do cold emails to professors. Tell them about yourself. And under them, management trainee intern Or you can get as a management intern. So I did the same. In my third year, last semester that is From the 6th semester, IIM Ahmedabad and IIM Bangalore I started sending emails to many professors. That I want to work as an intern under them. And I pitched, why should they take me as an intern? And I think I mailed 50-60 different professors. From those 50 - 60 professors, I hardly got a reply from 2 to 3 professors. Yes, No, Maybe. I just got replies from 2 to 3. And everyone replied "No". That there is no vacancy under us. Awesome insult. And I started this job in January of mailing. And April was here, and until April I had no internship. In one month, my semester was going to end. And from May summer was going to start. And I didn't have any internship to do. Did you see the result of carelessness? And then in April, an interesting thing happened. So on my campus, Many companies came for on-campus internships. 


They were coming from last year's July. But I didn't get it. And in April I remember one company came for an internship I went up to the last round of it. And in the last round, I got rejected. And I was very sad that day, Because I thought finally I will get an internship in a company. My summer break will be sorted But I didn't get it. And I was very sad. And I remember that day, I was awake the whole night. In the morning at 7, the mess will open In college life, I didn't have money. So at 7 in the morning the mess will be opened. I will go there and have breakfast. So I was waiting, when it is morning I will do breakfast and sleep. And around 6 in the morning I was sitting in a sad mood on my bed that I will go now. And I was thinking let's try for the last time .I didn't do internship. But let's do one last try. And to all IIM Ahmedabad professors, I sent a follow-up mail. I am still waiting for your response.  XYZ I'm really excited. And I made a good follow-up mail and sent it. And within 30 minutes I got a reply from one professor. And he was the same professor to whom I sent my first mail. Of all the professors the one I mailed first I finally got a revert from him. My last, when I had given up After that, the last try I did. I got the internship. And I didn't get this internship straightforwardly. In his reply he said, he did not want any management intern. But yes he wants a computer science intern who will make a data analysis software for him. So he asked me do I know it? To be honest I didn't know too much. But I was ready to learn. I told that definitely, I know. I know, you just gave me the opportunity. I will definitely nail it. Then after that, he said After one week we will take a telephonic interview. Then every day in that one week I learned. I studied data science, python, and all. What are the relevant topics? Then I had a telephonic interview. In that, I performed well. And within a few days, they said ok We are offering you a data analysis internship position. At IIM Ahmedabad starting May. Then in May, I went to IIM Ahmedabad. I worked for 2 months as an intern. I had a lot of fun. First time I was staying outside my city like this. So I had a lot of fun. And here the moral of the story is not that, Stay awake the whole night to eat mess food and then mail. What are you trying to say? The moral of the story is Cold mailing works. Start sending cold emails. If you send 50-60 cold email Then you will receive 5-6 replies. And maybe then 1-2 maybe yes from them. So cold email definitely works. It's a numbers game, so will have to do a lot of cold mailing. But don't think that it doesn't work. It has worked for me. In internship and also in many other places. And guys here I want to say this, On this channel every week I upload college student-related videos. So if you are a college student, And till now if you haven't subscribed to this channel,  Then don't forget to press the subscribe button. Alright so moving on, My second internship was in Urban Clap. We call it urban company. And I interned at Urban Clap. In my third-year winter vacation. As a business development associate. And I got this internship in a cliche way. Think what is the best way to find an internship? What comes first to your mind? Internshala. Or such a website right. Around when my third year's first semester was going to end. I started applying on Internshala and other websites like it. Web development or nontech internships. At that time I thought I had one month of time so I wanted to explore a different field. And I was a computer science student. I thought of trying business development or non-tech internships. So I applied to a lot of companies on Internshala. There was an opening in UrbanClap opening for an internship. I applied to that also. And when I applied I received a call from them, that there would be one interview round. I went for an interview.  They took my interview. They mostly asked me about my extra circular activities. Because it was a non-tech internship So they wanted to see, How are the communication skills? And whether I have a proactive personality or not. And the interview was very nice. I had a lot of fun. For the first time, I went to an office like this. And then I got selected for it. And the important thing over here, that sort of is the moral of the story. It was a small story I know compared to the previous one. But yes the moral is Such online websites like Internshala, Weintern Even LinkedIn or AngelList It is feasible to apply on these websites. You can get internships through them. And secondly, I would recommend you one more thing. That you should do multiple internships.  Definitely, first of all in your college life. And in these multiple internships, do 1 or 2 internships apart from your academic field. Like I was in the technical field, I was a computer science student.


 Then I did one internship in a non-tech field. I did one in the business development associate field too. So you should also explore like this. Different areas. And one more interesting thing, when I was working over there I made a good connection with my manager. So she showed me rejected candidates' resumes, those who uploaded their resumes. And when I saw those resumes, I was pretty surprised. Because their resumes were not that good. Not good in the sense their formatting Or the way in their resume Their interest or background they shared, That was not up to the mark. And I realised, Many students don't know, How to make a good resume? So if you want that I should make a video on this topic, How to make a good resume as a college student? For internships, for placements, for higher studies, or anything. Then do tell me in the comment section If there is enough demand, Then I will definitely make a video on that topic. So finally now, my first internship and I think my most fun internship was also that one. That was at EY Ernst & Young as a web development associate. And I took this internship through a personal network. In my family, my relatives, and in my network I floated my resume And told that if you know of any openings for an internship If I can get any position Then refer me. And I received a call from EY. That in their department they need an intern. And I got selected for it. This is also interesting in the sense First day when I went over there They selected me for a non-tech position. That there will be some non-tech work. And I didn't know what the work was. And when they talked to me, From where I am and what do I do? I told them I am from IIIT and I am a computer science student. XYZ etc etc Then they said ok we have some technical work. We want to make a web application So tell us if you are interested in doing that. Then we will take you as a web development intern. And I was more than happy with it. I wanted and preferred a technical role at that time. So the thing is I went there as a non-tech intern But the first day when they talked to me, Then there they gave me a technical intern Or web development internship. Then I worked end to end on their small project. For their financial calculations, they used an excel sheet. But excel sheets cannot be used properly by everyone. And its UI was not easy to use. So what they asked me was Study this excel sheet.  How does it work? Where you should enter the value & where do you get the result? And convert it into a web application. So a normal man can work with a simple interface Can execute the same functionality. That is done by this excel sheet. For the full 2 ​​months, I worked on that. End to end from scratch to everything, The whole project was mine. To make a front end, backend, database To upload it on the server. All this was my work and I had a lot of fun. Because this was the first time on some actual project I was working end to end. Everything was done by me. So I learned a lot of things. How is a web application actually made? And my this internship at EY, this was my only unpaid internship. I was not paid for it. But still, I was more than happy with it. Because it was my first internship. I was just in my second year of college. And also EY is a big brand.  It's a big name. So in my resume in my profile a very good tag was added.


Post a Comment

0 Comments